Friday, February 19, 2010

The Power of Drive

I started reading Drive by Daniel Pink this week.  Daniel Pink states that the three most important things we need to achieve Motivation 3.0 are autonomy, mastery, and purpose.  Today's workers are required to perform many creative tasks, and the old reward system just doesn't work.

In my professional experience,  my most rewarding jobs have been where I have been given autonomy over my time and my tasks.  On many occasions I have gone above and beyond the call of duty because of the inner reward and purpose that I experienced from the task.  I've also been in the "flow" zone where my best work is done.  It's a great feeling to accomplish something because you want to do it and not because you have to do it.  I have also seen great results  in classrooms where teachers have provided their students with an environment that allows them some autonomy.  I believe this is why Montessori education is so successful.

Run out to buy the book (or download to your e-reader) as soon as possible. Get a head start by listening to Daniel Pink's TED Talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pink_on_motivation.html.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with so much of what you said- I tend to go above & beyond at work (and for almost anything) when I feel it is rewarding for me. I enjoy the feeling of knowing I did a good job or that I saw a project all the way through. When I was a classroom teacher, I firmly believed (and still do) in student-facilitated activities...my kids really took ownership over the community that we built together and often surprised me with what they could accomplish. The year always started out with a lot of external motivation, but by the end, they were performing tasks on their own without the expectation of a reward from me.

    This book has been on my list of titles to read. I will have to pick it up soon!

    ReplyDelete